Tuesday, December 8, 2009

HICKORY HOG AND THE CHRISTMAS RASCAL, part 8

PART 8, December 8

"MMph, MMph, MMph," came a noise from under the pile.

"It's Him! It's Him!" cried the frightened little bird from a perch high up in a tree, "Tie him up. Hold on to him, Just don't let him get away."

There was more grunting and groaning and wriggling around in the pile beneath the little bird. Finally a panting voice wheezed out, "How can I get away with you big pile of galoots on top of me?"

"It's the little old man," exclaimed Hickory Hog.

"You mean the mean little man?" questioned the bird.

"Positively not. That was a long time ago when both the man and myself were much too selfish for our own good," assured Hickory, "He's certainly not mean anymore. Though, what he's doing here in the path of our track I don't know."

"I'll tell you," gasped the little old man, "if only you'll get up off me, especially that snake!"

"HUMPH!! Snake, indeed," muttered Whizzer Worm indignantly, "I'll have you know that I am no such thing as a snake. They are disgusting creatures, chasing after rats and mice and arrogantly sunning themselves on warm rocks, while I am on of nature's nobles, an earthworm. Do you know that if it wasn't for me and my kind the plants would not be able to breath and they would all die, I aereate the soil and keep it healthy. That's a lot more than any SNAKE ever did, I can tell you that."

Listening to this speech from his friend sent Hickory into a gale of laughter. Somehow the spectacle of a worm, even one as mighty as Whizzer, sternly lecturing an old man was too much to take. If you don't think so, just imagine the scene for yourself. Remember that a worm has absolutely no bones in his body at all. Then picture his delivering a harsh speech. Somehow his presence just doesn't give a big wallop.

"I don't know what you're laughing at. Hickory Hog," sputtered the irate worm. "Doubtless you've thought the same in your lifetime, but take it from me, we worms have absolutely nothing in common with snakes."

"All right, all right," laughed the hog, "Now what are we going to do? We've lost his trail for sure, whoever he was."

"Who are you talking about?" asked the man.

"Someone who took up residence in my barn and stole some of my corn," said Hickory.

"Someone who stole my potatoes," said the worm.

"Someone who frightened me," said the bird.

"Oh," said the man, "You must be talking about the Christmas Rascal."

© 1989 Kevin Don Levellie

No comments:

Post a Comment