Tuesday, October 20, 2009

TWO WAYS OF READING THE BIBLE

Since 1966 I have read through the entire Bible 120 times. I’ve read it in 27 different translations so far. Right now I’m reading my 28th translation. Over the years I’ve learned much. I’d like to recommend two different ways of reading the Bible which each produce different results.

The first time I read through the Bible it took almost two full years. It was hard, even as a teenager, to learn the discipline of reading something every day. So many times we are daunted by such a large book as the Bible. One way of reading is just to do as much as you can each day and not worry about meeting any kind of deadline. There is no virtue in either the speed or amount of reading.

On the other hand, there is a time and place for a fast read, if you’re able to do it. Almost by accident in 1995 I did my first “Bible Dash”. In 16 days I read through the entire Bible. I set aside other reading, and television viewing, etc. to do it. This was amazing because for the first time I saw the entire flow of the scriptures in a way I’d never seen it before. Since then I’ve done at least one Bible Dash every year.

The slower method is like sipping. The faster one is like a big gulp. The slower gives depth and hand holds for living. The faster gives the Big Picture and the context of the scripture. However you choose to read, I’d encourage you to make a start and not quit until you’ve done it all. And then, of course, it’s a good idea to start it again because fast or slow you don’t get it all on one time or even 121 times.

No comments:

Post a Comment