Friday, January 9, 2009

To Be or Not to Be: Thankful

I recently purchased a cd by Joel Osteen about being thankful. Although most of the time I am pretty upbeat, even zany, I was convicted by this teaching. I need to be more thankful to the Lord for all we have, or don’t have! I need to wake up in the morning praising God for my health, my job, my family and my mind that works (most of the time!). I am especially thankful for a place in Heaven, and my sweet relationship with a loving Heavenly Father.
So we don’t own our own home, we live in a parsonage—but it’s a lovely home in the country surrounded by great neighbors and few noises, other than birdsong and cricket opera. We have no smog, we see crimson and lavender sunsets and watch bunnies prance across our lawn.
So our church is small—the people love and support us and tell us how grateful they are to have us pastor them. I have an awesome group of ladies in my Sunday School class, and Kevin gets to preach every week.
Let’s not allow the news media to manipulate us into thinking the world is on the verge of collapse just because the economy has taken a nosedive. God is still God, and this world will be here until He says not. There is always, always, always something to be thankful for.
I’d like to challenge you, as Pastor Osteen challenged me this week: what are you thankful for? Please share with me, and other readers, what you are grateful for. Let’s see how long a list we can make. Let’s focus on the good in our lives, and make God smile. Love you, Jen

8 comments:

  1. Wow, it sounds like you have some wonderful things to be grateful for. The nice thing about a parsonage (I'm guessing) is there's no taxes, right? We own our home but because of taxes it's more like we're renting it.
    Anyways, I'm definitely not grateful for taxes. LOL
    I am thankful that my three little boys are healthy and strong. I'm thankful for a husband who loves me and is kind to me, for a family who supports my writing and is close-knit. For the house that we own, despite the government. LOL And I guess for the government for protecting the people from foreign invaders.
    Okay, that sounded a little off, but maybe you get what I mean?
    I got your e-mail and responded. If you didn't get my response, let me know. I've been having issues with Google. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful for all that we have. Every night when I pray with girls, I mention things that we might usually take for granted...a warm ,cozy bed, soft pillows, each other...blessed beyond what we deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanna: Thank you for this comment. You are so wise to do that with your kids. Hopefully, they will grow up appreciating the simple things we cannot put a pricetag on.
    Blessings, Jen
    P.S. Did you make the 'guy' apron yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our pastor just spoke on thankfulness a week ago. What a great reminder. I always thank the Lord in the morning for the good nights rest and comfortable bed and for his protections. I thank Him in the evening for the day and all His blessings. I am trying to be better at expressing my thankfulness to Him all through the day. Love, Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phyllis: This is one of those basic things we all need to be reminded of, huh? I think especially we Americans are very spoiled, and tend to expect comfort and warmth, forgetting they are gifts from the Lord. He is sooooooo good. I don't think we could thank Him too much! Love, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica:
    I am thankful for our government, too. I am one of those radical people who think we should be grateful to live in America, and spending time praying for our government is better than griping about it. I sure wouldn't want to be in charge!
    thanks for your comments, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL
    I just gripe about taxes.
    But point taken. :-)
    It's very biblical to pray for our leaders, not radical at all. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jessica: Well... I don't have to pay property taxes, so easy for me to be smug, huh? Sorry if i came across as 'thankfuller than thou'!
    I appreciate your comments, Jen

    ReplyDelete